What is praise exactly? It’s a positive expression we offer another that shows our admiration and approval of who they are.
Do you realize that there are four verses in Proverbs alone that talk about nagging wives? They are referred to as quarrelsome, fretful, and a continual dripping. If you’ve ever experienced a leaky roof, you’ll know how annoying that is. We experienced one about 20 years ago in our back porch, and regardless of how many times I emptied the pail, it would only fill up again. That’s the danger with nagging. It can become a never-ending habit if left unchecked, and unfortunately, it fosters resentment.
Praise, on the other hand, has the reverse effect. It builds the bond of marriage and draws a couple closer together. That’s only two of the benefits, let’s take a look at five more!
5 Reasons to Praise Your Husband:
1. When you affirm him you are affirming your adoration of him. Knowing that someone loves you deeply strengthens the bond of marriage. Think of it this way: we form the strongest friendships with those that we deeply trust.
2. When you praise him for the little things he does, it’s more likely that he’ll be encouraged to repeat them in the future.
3. When I praise my husband whether it be in his presence or in his absence, we bear witness of our marriage covenant. Keeping in mind that marriage reflects the covenant between Jesus Christ and the church it’s important to honor our vows in the best way we know how.
4. Kindness is an attractive quality. There’s no possible way a wife can be attractive when she’s constantly nagging her husband. Sure, you can put the pretty on, but unless you’re also attractive it wears thin. There’s nothing appealing about a critical spirit.
5. He’ll be glad to come home. Let’s face it, the world is a tough place. Many of our husbands are dealing with difficult situations at work and need a sense of relief when they walk through the door. Unfortunately, some other husbands are working with women who are building them up outside of the home. If we want a husband who is glad to come home to his wife, we can make him feel welcome by letting him know that we appreciate him, that we respect him, and that we’re glad he is with us.
You are loved by an almighty God,
The Time-Warp Wife
P.S. If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks!
WORDS TO LIVE BY
Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. – Proverbs 16:24
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. – Proverbs 15:1
By long forbearing is a prince persuaded, and a soft tongue breaketh the bone. – Proverbs 25:15
She opens her mouth in wisdom, And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. – Proverbs 31:26
Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad. – Proverbs 12:25
Messy Beautiful Love: Hope and Redemption for Real-Life Marriages
by Darlene Schacht | Available at Amazon.com (affil link)
Love gets messy.
Financial problems, sickness, aging parents, a chronically unhappy spouse . . . trials will inevitably come that threaten your marriage. No matter how long you’ve been married or how strong your relationship is, sooner or later you are going to have a mess to clean up.
MessyBeautiful Love is about cleaning up messes God’s way, exchanging your ideas for His, and being prepared for both the best and the worst that marriage has to offer.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Darlene Schacht and her husband Michael live in Manitoba Canada where the summers are beautiful and the winters are cold. Together they’ve come to learn that relationships aren’t always easy, but that marriage, the way God intended it to be, is a treasure worth fighting for.
She began her publishing journey about twelve years ago when she pioneered one of the first online magazines for Christian women, known at the time as “Christian Women Online Magazine.” After three years, Darlene left CWO to blog as a solo author at Time-Warp Wife Ministries.
It was also during this transition that she worked alongside actress Candace Cameron Bure to write the NYT Best-Selling book, Reshaping it All: Motivation for Spiritual and Physical Fitness. Reshaping it All was the winner of both the 2011 USA Best Book Awards and the 2012 Christian Reading Retailers Choice Awards.
Author of more than 15 books, Darlene continues to write and to minister to her readers through her blog at TimeWarpWife.com.
Connect with Darlene: